Cleaning Pet Poop on your Carpet
Even the best trained dogs and cats can occasionally have accidents on your home carpeting.
But if your pets always do the right thing in the right place (in the yard), you or your kids can step in it and track it all over your floors, rugs, and carpets.
Pet stains on your carpeting can be quite embarrassing — it stinks, it looks terrible, and it can even pose a health risk to you and your family. So, it's best to take care of pet feces on your carpet right away.
As professionals, we see this all the time, so we believe that you should be prepared for pet accidents, and know what to do when you discover one.
For expert carpet cleaning and care, please call the professionals at One of a Kind Pros. Our experienced team will be happy help. For professional carpet cleaning service in Katy, Texas, give us a call! We'll be happy to help you take care of spots and stains, and get your carpet looking spotless and beautiful again.
When you are cleaning a spot or stain on your carpet — any type of spot or spill —
remember this word:
— please don't *scrub*. Scrubbing may cause damage to the fibers of the carpet.
How to Handle
on your Carpet
Note: We are providing this advice as a courtesy for our community, but we cannot guarantee results when it comes to do-it-yourself carpet cleaning. We also can't be responsible for any damages to your carpeting from DIY Cleaning.
Please spot test any home cleaning products or solutions, even the recommended ones, on your carpeting, in a hidden area, to be sure it doesn't damage the color of your carpet's dyes.
Pet Poop: If it’s still solid, you don't have much to worry about. Just scrape it up, throw it out, and follow the recommendations below to clean up the residual mess.
But if the poop is runny, or if it has been tracked in on your shoes — you've got a little more work to do, obviously. Take care of the problem quickly so more of the material won't work its way down deeper into your carpeting.
The fresher the stain, the easier it is to handle — so we can't emphasize enough — sooner is always better than later. Take prompt action!
Waiting until later can allow bacteria to thrive in the stained area, which will lead to unpleasant odors and unhealthy conditions.
1. Gather the following pet poop first-aid kit materials:
(Hopefully you've prepared for such an emergency in advance!)
** Dish Soap: Use a clear, non-bleach liquid dishwashing detergent such as Dawn or Clear Ivory. Detergents that look cloudy could leave behind a sticky residue that could attract dust and dirt to the area quickly.
2. Make the Dish Soap Solution
Use about 1/4 teaspoon of dish soap to 4 cups of warm water.
3. Step-by-Step Cleaning Instructions
- Pull on your dishwashing gloves.
- Use your chosen scraping tool and remove as much of the mess as possible from the areas, and put it in the plastic bag.
(PRO TIP: When scraping, work from the outer edge of the mess towards the middle.This will avoid expanding the messy area.)
- Get your clean white towels and wet them slightly with warm water.
- Remember to Blot — don't scrub — the messy area with the clean, white towels until there is no more transfer of the stain onto the towels.
- Use the dish soap solution you made in step 2 (You can put it in a spray bottle) and spray or apply lightly onto the spot
- Blot repeatedly with clean towels — working from the outer edge inward toward the center. Do not use too much dish soap solution, because the residue will attract dust and soil.
- Rinse thoroughly by spraying with clean water, then blot dry with a dry towel.
For stubborn stains, let us take care of you.
For professional carpet cleaning in Katy, Texas and surrounding communities, call the Pros —
One of a Kind Pros™ - We're here to help!
Thank you for reading our article. We hope it was helpful.
If you have any questions about this article, or suggestions for another article — anything related to cleaning carpet, upholstery, tile and grout, and maintaining a healthy home — please feel free to give us a call, and let's talk!
~ Your Friends at One Of A Kind Pros™ Carpet Cleaning